gave on overview of the Prometheus monitoring tool, based on the Borgmon white
paper released by Google.
- Monitoring complexity was becoming expensive.
- Borgmon inverted the monitoring process
- Was heavily relied upon at Google.
- Prometheus, Bosun, Riemann are stream based monitoring like Borgman.
- Prometheus scrapes /varz
- Sends alerts as key value pairs
- Using shards for scaling.
- Defines targets in a YAML file.
- Data storage is in a global database in memory
- Use "higher level abstractions to lower cost of maintenance
- Use metrics, not checks
- Design alerts based on service objectives.
Another brilliant monitoring talk from Jamie.