Catarina Mota spoke about how open
source software changed her life.
- Discussed the spilling over of online communities in the real world, with 3D
printing as an example.
- In particular covered the RepRap printer and community.
- RepRap printer provided the ability to short circuit traditional
"think of RepRap as a China on your desktop"
- Chris de Bona
- Open Source (GNU
GPL) is core the RepRap mission and it's success.
- Catarina describe sher house as an Open Source house.
- Followed Open Source principles to design and build her home.
- The goal was more affordable and sustainable housing.
Why Does it Matter?
- Machines are not neutral.
- Talked about obsolescence and e-waste.
- Phones are big contributor,
- Phonebloks is a phone designed to be phone worth keeping with entirely
- Users are co-creators.
- Meant to be repaired, transformed, adapted and appropriated.
Catarina gave a wonderful talk on open source software, hardware and the way
it's changing the world. Great talk.