created Sentrifarm in 2015.
- Low power
- Using radio for communication
- Local storage
- They entered Hackaday - actual entry
- Wanted to learn new skills
- Have fun
- Perhaps produce something useful
- There were lots of discarded prototypes
- So many cheap devices facilitating experimentation.
- Radio links were not quite as open as he would have liked.
- Used Lora based ISM-band radio
- Learned how much easier it is to have PCBs fabricated these days.
- Fabrication lead times can be about 6 months.
Open Hardware Components
- 8 devices Carambola2 - Linux OpenWRT board
- Replaces need for Arduino IDE
- Open Source
- IDE agnostic
MQTT for communication
- Specifically MQTT-SN for low bandwidth
- Gateway runs OpenWRT
Andrew provided an overview of how the gateway processing model worked.
Andrew's project is an ingenious solution to a serious problem. I need one of
these for myself!
Added the talk itself below.