aka "The Internet of (Better) Things".
- Abuse of IoT is not a technical issue.
- The problem is who controls the data.
- Need better analysis of the was it is used that is bad.
- "If you're not the customer, you're the product."
- by accepting advertising.
- by having your privacy sold.
- Led to a conflation of IoT and Big Data.
- Product end of life by vendors ceasing support.
- Very little cross vendor compatibility.
- Many devices useless if the Internet is not available.
- Consumer grade devices often fail.
- Weak crypto support.
- Often due to lack of entropy, RAM, CPU.
- Poorly thought out update cycles.
Turning Complaints into Requirements:
- Internet independence.
- Generic interfaces.
- Simplified Cryptography.
- Easier Development.
- Peer to peer services.
- Standards based hardware description language.
- Shared secrets, initialised by QR code.
- Simpler development with MicroPython.